Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday Fav - The Right Place at The Right Time

Happy Friday, Friends! This week has flown by and been a great one. I love today's Friday Fav and the lesson I've learned from it, what I hope I can do with it, and how it needs to be a reminder for us all.

Today's Friday Fav is all about being at The Right Place at The Right Time.

This phrase has been a constant reminder for me over this last year and through 2 very big life happenings that have taken place.

At this time last year, Mike's family was told the hardest news you can hear - your mom has been diagnosed with ALS (a progressive neurodegenerative disease). Hearing words like these, no matter the disease, is heartbreaking. Your life is quickly taking a turn and the direction everyone is headed in is unknown. 

At this time last year, I was talking to my family about this recent diagnosis and our hearts were all torn. I remember talking to my dad about life, situations with which were dealt (many times the unknown), and how you really have to just keep swimming. I remember him texting me constantly checking in with how things were going. I remember him asking me what he could do to help her out. I remember him saying, "We will never know what tomorrow may bring, but having people who you can lean on is how you keep going."

Five months ago, I found out my dad was no longer here. I remember who I heard it from, how I responded, where I fell, how I got home, the flight back home, and the moment I had the chance to see him and say goodbye. I remember the one person who showed up right after I got the call. I remember who I was following home because I needed the time in my car for myself. I remember who hugged me all night as I sobbed, attempted to pack, didn't sleep, and had to figure out how I would get back home. I remember who bought me coffee, a bagel and plenty of magazines at the airport, who held my hand the entire 5 hour flight home, and who was with me every step of the way as we made my dad's final arrangements. I remember Mike and how he was there and has been every step of the way. 

As Mike goes through his own journey with his mom and family, I want to remind him that I'll be that person who he can lean on. I want to be that person who will teach him how to keep swimming. Not knowing what tomorrow may bring, I want to be with him every step of the way. 

Through 1 year and 2 significant life happenings, I can't help but remind myself that our paths crossing has been the best gift. From everything we've gone through, we seem to have fallen into each others lives at the right place and at the right time. 

So wherever you are in your own life, who is next to you, and who might need you to be next to them, remember life is never certain and while the unknown can be inviting, it can also be really rough. You might just be that person who is at the right place at the right time. 
                    

Have a great weekend and lean on! 






3 comments:

  1. Hello :) I'm a new follower. Not even sure how I landed on your blog, but I love it. This was an especially great post. Mike's lucky, youre thoughtful and brave- just the kind of person you'd want to have by your side.

    xo Ami
    a champagne dream

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a remarkable woman and remind me so much of your Mom. Mike is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have Mike.

    ReplyDelete