Friday, August 2, 2013

Friday Fav - 3 Years

Happy Friday! I can't believe it's August, but I'm so excited for this month, what's ahead, and something very special I'm celebrating ... 

Friday Fav - 3 Years

Three years ago, I packed my life to move across the country for love. To tell you the truth, I didn't even know where Baltimore, Maryland was located on a map (don't judge), but yet I was about to call it "home." Over the course of long-distance dating for a year, getting to see glimpses of Maryland through various weekend trips, and hoping to know what living on the east coast could be like, I made the decision to give my relationship and building a life in a new city a try.
 
Mike flew out to Denver, Colorado (where I was living at the time), helped me pack the u-haul, and made the 1,700 mile trek with me across some of the most boring states out there. During this entire trip, I couldn't help but think "If we can drive across the country together, we can make it through anything!" 

This month, 3 years ago, I landed in Baltimore blinded about what was to come. I had no clue that I would miss the west coast as much as I have, I didn't think I would have such a hard time meeting people, and above all I never thought I would make it past the first year. To sum up what it's like living a million miles from your family and friends is unexplainable. To sum up what it's like living in a city 150 ways different than your hometown is exhausting.

But ... to sum up what it's like living in a place you wouldn't have been able to find on a map 3 years earlier ... well that's one of the best feelings in the world. 

Baltimore, you've given me 3 of the most amazing years. We've had our ups and downs, you've made me stronger, tougher, and probably less "charming" on the road, but you've given me what I always thought was impossible - a life on the east coast.

Moving for love not only brought me closer to Mike, but it opened so many doors that Idaho and Colorado couldn't. I've grown with an inspiring organization, I've found friends who bring out the best in me and keep my soul laughing, and I know no matter how far away from home I go, I'll always carry a piece of it with me.

Baltimore, I haven't give you the credit you always deserve, but you really are a city unlike any other.

You are my home.

Federal Hill, 2010. This picture sums up the past 3 years.
I've got my best friend and love at my side, and a beautiful city to call home.
Wherever you live, whatever you do, and whoever you're able to call your friends make the most of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment